1863 First Sunday School in Hooley Hill, later becoming a 'Day School'
1879 Moved to new building on Denton Road (site of Community Centre)
1914 Day school closed but building continued as a Sunday School and Mission Church
1924 New district of 'St Hilda's, Audenshaw' created, temporary church built on present site
1936 Church burnt down!....big campaign to raise money for new church
1937 Foundation stone laid by Bishop of Manchester
1938 New church opened. St Hilda's, Audenshaw now a parish in its own right
1944 Temporary church hall known as 'the shack' built by German prisoners of war
1978 'The shack' burnt down!...Church building becomes dual purpose, hall and church
1983 Dividing screen added to create separate worship area for weekday services
A big "thank you" to our former churchwarden Brian for this rare photograph of one of the first Whit walks after the district of St Hilda's was formed in 1924.
The original church seen here was built in the same year, but was destroyed by fire just 12 years later, in 1936.
The bay-windowed house at the corner of Denton Road and Mayfield Street can still be seen today
Father Rowland Jones ...
The laying of the foundation stone of the new Saint Hilda's
in 1937 - looking across from Denton Road to Corporation Road.
The open fields eventually made way for new housing estates...
Inside the original Saint Hilda's Church (1924-36)
The consecration of the newly-built Saint Hilda's in 1938.
At the main entrance, the Bishop of Manchester, Dr Guy Warman reads from Scripture. The Bishop of Hulme, Dr Sherwood Jones is standing beside him, facing the camera. (Photo: Ashton Reporter)